Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Caroline

Caroline (Lindsay's sister) came to visit! We had so much fun with her here, I love having guests! She arrived late Wednesday night - Lindsay and I waited up for her and cleaned the apt. while waiting. Thursday after school, I stayed late to steward a public class and then rushed home to cook dinner with the girls! Lindsay and I loved our meal in Boston so much that we wanted to try to recreate it - of course I loved this challenge (I thought about the recipe and ingredients all week long).

Butternut squash pasta with maple apple cider reduction
Dice butternut squash and boil for 10 minutes. Toss in olive oil, season, and roast at 350 for about 30-45 minutes (until soft, but not crusted).
While squash is roasting, saute shallots and garlic in 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. Add 1 c. apple cider and let simmer. When liquid has reduced for 20 minutes, add cinnamon and maple syrup (to taste) and allow to reduce further.
Cook pasta according to instructions.
Toss pasta, butternut squash, and liberal amount of sauce together and serve.
(optional - add feta cheese and toasted walnuts)

Friday after school, I met Lindsay and Caroline at Central Park for bike riding. We had decided to rent bikes and ride the loop of the park! The weather was perfect, there was a crisp breeze with alot of sun, the leaves were changing into beautiful hues of orange and yellow and gold, and there were children and families and dogs everywhere. The bike ride was a bit intense (Lindsay and I walked our cruisers up a few of the hills),

but it was a perfect afternoon! Definitely a must-do for a New Yorker...


Saturday we took Caroline to the Young Designers Market in SoHo - a market where lots of up-and-coming designers sell clothes, jewelry, sunglasses, hats, etc. I went to Brooklyn to hang out with Eden for the night, and Caroline and Lindsay went to 80's Prom Night at Union Square (Lindsay auditioned for this show and has a call back in a few weeks! They gave her free tickets to come see the show) Eden and I walked around Cobble Hill (her neighborhood) and then had a delicious dinner at Wild Ginger - a Vegan pan-Asian restaurant around the corner. I have spent quite a few afternoons in Cobble Hill and it is quickly becoming one of my most favorite neighborhoods in NYC - it reminds me alot of Greenwich Village, lots of restaurants and bookstores and coffee shops, but it's also feels a little more laid back, less "Manhattan" if you will... I like it alot.

Sunday, according to tradition, Lindsay and I took Caroline to brunch. This Sunday we chose The Barking Dog - a fun brunch spot in our neighborhood - also a NYC staple (featured in Sex and the City).

One thing I have yet to learn about living in NYC is timing/scheduling. I realize that I often over commit myself and schedule too many things in one day... This happened Sunday, and I found myself running from place to place, hardly breathing, much less relaxing into what I was doing. After brunch, I ran to my friend Mallory's to "practice" for our upcoming cook test.. rice, beans, crudite, and knife skills. After practicing at Mallory's, I had planned to go to church at Resurrection, but of course, timing just DID NOT work out.

My friend E'lane (who just graduated from Le Cordon Bleu pastry school in Paris!) was in town job searching, and so I met up with her for church and dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment