Thursday, September 16, 2010

First Taste of School

I've had my first "tasting" at school! This morning, the second day at school, we had equipment ID class. Walking through the kitchen, we discussed saute pans, sautoirs, spiders, hotel pans, blenders, the "salamander", and finally the juicer. Into the juicer went a raw carrot, and using the mesh attachment, out came a delicate and vibrant juice, perfectly full of energy and health. This, however, was not what captivated me. Our second juiced item was a banana... a frozen banana. Snapping in the "blank" attachment, Chef Perry then pushed the frozen banana through, and to my surprise, out came banana... I think I'll say frozen yogurt, but the best, most pure, most freshly sweet banana frozen yogurt you could ever imagine. The color was a beautiful pearly white, the texture was cool and creamy and slid smoothly down my throat; my "after lunch" sweet tooth had been satisfied, and yet the post "sugar rush" sleepy let-down feeling was non-existent. I would wager to say that even my dad, the biggest ice cream lover I've ever met, would be satisfied with this twist on traditional ice cream - with the addition of a sweet peanut sauce and a sprinkle of chocolate chips maybe.

During the second part of our day, we tackled knife skills. I was presented with my first knife set - a monumental day moment a culinary student. After learning all the parts of a knife, we began to practice Japanese cutting techniques. We learned thirteen different cuts for the most basic of vegetables - carrots, onions, radishes, mushrooms, potatoes, cabbage, celery, leeks, and garlic - a half-moon, diagonal half-moon, large dice, small dice, etc. etc. After an extensive demo from the chef, we all began to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment