Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Meatball Shop

My good friend Eden has lived in Brooklyn for a year, attending the Pratt Institute for art therapy. I envy her sense of style, her eclectic personality, and her knowledge of the city. I will take advantage of learning all that she knows. And so, our first adventure together occurred in the Lower East Side at a restaurant called the Meatball Shop.

I was a little disappointed in Eden when she first told me that we were going here. I thought she knew that I liked healthy, fresh, gourmet restaurants... what I envisioned as "the Meatball shop" was definitely not this. But I trusted her... and of course, she was right.

The Lower East Side is a pretty hip, artsy part of NYC. Tons of yummy restaurants, small dives off the beaten path, lots of yoga studios, music venues, and hipster apartments. The Meatball Shop totally fit in.

Our dinner was perfect, it was a cool night, all the windows and walls of the restaurant were open, candles on the table, the restaurant was bulging with people. Sitting squishes between two other "2-person" tables, we both ordered vegetarian meatballs with traditional marinara sauce, and split a side of the special veggie of the day - a mixture of carrots, chopped prunes and roasted walnuts, all glazed with a mildy sweet local honey. We also got a side of sauteed kale topped with feta cheese. As if the meatballs were not enough, I cannot forget dessert (Eden and I are of the same kind... we always want dessert.) The Meatball Shop is famous for its specialty ice cream sandwiches - pick your cookies and pick your ice cream. I chose homemade espresso ice cream sandwiched between a gooey chocolate chip cookie and a texturally perfect peanut butter cookie.

As I rode the subway home that night, the expression on my face told the story of utmost enjoyment of exactly where I am in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment