Thursday, September 16, 2010

My first day of school... #19

I've experienced 19 first days of school... but never one like today. By the time I started my second year of nursing school, I felt like a professional at starting school - I wasn't in the least bit stressed or worried, it was just like any other day (my mom might say differently, but that's how I remember it). Today I woke up, took the subway, and ended up in my seat in the kitchen of The Natural Gourmet Culinary Institute, nervously awaiting my first lecture on the first day of culinary school. This was unlike any first day of school I have ever experienced.

There are 16 people in my class, 15 girls and 1 boy. Most are from America - Michigan, California, Florida, New York, Kansas, and 2 women are from South America. Most everyone is around my age, though there are a few ladies in their 40-50's. We have lots of different teachers, some that work full-time at the school and some that are "free-lance" teachers. The school has a very intricate and structured system, organization, and curriculum. Right now, I am doing what I can to keep my head above water.

The first morning consisted of orientation - explanations of anything and everything one could think of. In the afternoon, we had our first lecture - sanitation. During our lunch break, I met a girl in my class, Kate. Having a housing crisis, she's now going to live with Lindsay and me for the next 2 weeks. I'm really excited about this, I hope to get to know her well!

After a long day at school, I met my friend Eden for detox and a cupcake... detox meaning dissect and analyze every aspect of my day! Sitting in the park, I was so thankful for her friendship and thoughts!

This seems like the never ending day, I know! (I kind of felt like that as well) AFTER coffee with Eden, I met up with Lindsay and friends from Redeemer to attend a "Happy Hour" for Chaka Marketbridge. Neil Paine is a guy I've met since coming to NYC. His girlfriend goes to Redeemer Presbyterian and is in Bible study with some girls I've met. Anyways, Neil has started a company/foundation helping Africans in Nicaragua sell artisan goods in America. They make pottery, jewelry, purses, etc. to help support their families. It's a really cool concept - if you are interested, check out

We ended the night with a big trip to 16 Handles - self-serve yogurt with tons and tons of toppings. I was worn out by the end of the day. Though a long day, my first day of school was a great day, filled with school, new people, friends, and typical NYC city life events.

No comments:

Post a Comment