Saturday, September 11, 2010

First week in NYC

I've been in New York City for 11 days officially. The first few days of my life in the city were a whirlwind of things that I almost can't remember, probably because I have not had time to sit down and process this past week and a half. I'm going to take a few posts to write about this past week because the adjustment phase of moving somewhere new is A PROCESS for me. There have been ALOT of funny stories, tragic moments, and memorable experiences that I want to make sure I remember.

My mom and I flew to New York last Wednesday, September 1 - my mom carrying 2 heavy bags, me on crutches, both of us with alot of excitement (and nerves). Checking in to our quaint bed and breakfast, The Gracie Inn, the Upper East Side welcomed me into a life of strolling residents, calming streets, and distant sounds of city life. It was (and is) the perfect balance between a small, familiar neighborhood and a booming, fast-paced metropolis.

We met Lindsay and her parents at the local creperie - Yorkville Creperie. The creperie is a small, slightly romantic cafe on the corner of York and 84th. The creperie hosts a quiet atmosphere with bright splashes of mustard yellow on the walls and a delicious menu of crisp paninis and warm crepes. (Side note - our current favorite is "The Bonjour" - rosemary panini bread with turkey, mozzarella cheese, and fried egg. We always split this and get an extra side of balsamic for dipping!) Immediately, I knew I would love this place (referring to the creperie, Lindsay, New York, etc.). Lindsay Lamberth is my roommate and now a new, very close friend. Connected through Redeemer Presbyterian Church, we quickly discovered many common connections between our lives in Oxford/Brookhaven, Mississippi and Dallas, Texas. Graduating from Oklahoma City University, Lindsay is now braving the fierce world of auditions, following her dream to be an actress on Broadway... something I could NEVER do. I have loved learning about the business side and world of Broadway/auditioning/acting. Her mom and dad also immediately connected with my parents and became fast, inseparable friends.

After a delicious lunch, we embarked on our first task for the apartment - purchasing a mattress and bed from Sleepy's mattress store. Having never bought these things before, Lindsay and I were quite the inquisitive and indecisive customers. Taking full advantage of our status, we "sleep-tested" many mattresses to determine our personal preference. In the end, we both decided on the same mattress - the "plush" Serta set, a Labor-day special. Arranging to have our beds delivered later during the week, we felt very accomplished - little did we know 1 necessity down, a thousand more to go.



Separating for the night, Lindsay was off to an audition, and my mom and I were off to bed. Taking the city by storm on crutches was not as glamorous as I'd hoped it would be. I was completely exhausted, my arms were hurting and my foot was throbbing. An omelet from Zagat-rated Viand Diner and an episode of Top Chef were the perfect ending to my first day in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment