Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Moveable Feast

I have decided to start reading more. Not just any books, but reading substantial books, and so I started a new book this weekend. Ernest Hemingway "A Moveable Feast". Naturally, I was drawn to this book because of the title... a book about a feast? I'm SURE I will like it... I scanned the back of the book and saw something about Paris... I love Paris. This book seemed PERFECT. Ernest Hemingway is a respected, "intellectual" writer, I've read a couple of his books before and love them.
Don't judge a book by its cover... or title. As I started this book, I quickly realized it was not what I expected, but I really was enjoying it.

A Moveable Feast is Hemingway's first post-humous book to be published, written about his life in Paris as part of the American expatriates in the 1920's. I've only read about 60 pages, but after reading the first few pages, I knew it was worth reading.

In the forward, Sean Hemingway describes the process of choosing the title "A Moveable Feast", which was not the initial title selected by Hemingway. He had not decided on a title by the time he died, and so when the book was published, those that were collaborating on the project had to choose a title. In a passing conversation, Hemingway had mentioned Shakespeare's poem referring to a moveable feast and related this concept to his time in Paris. The friend remembered this conversation, retold the story to Hemingway's family, and the phrase stuck, eventually becoming the title of this book.

I like to think of my time in New York as a moveable feast. A moveable feast is a memory or even a state of being that has become a part of you, thing that you can always have with you no matter where you go or how you live life after, and you can never lose - an experience fixed in time and space like happiness or love that can be taken with you wherever you go.

Living in New York, I feel alive and happy and thankful. I feel so many good things that most of the time I can't believe I am really living here. Most every day, as I am walking home from school (a day full of cooking), I am almost breathless, like I've been jolted and the breath has been knocked out of me, thinking about my life right now - truly humbled. So, therefore, I like to think of my life as a moveable feast... the way that I feel will be with me wherever I go, every time I think about living here on the Upper East Side in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment