Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Down South

School's out for Thanksgiving! Anticipating an extremely crowded travel day, I left extra early for the airport and was off for my first official holiday home. Starting the day with a in a cab and ending the day wedged between my mom and Betsy in the back of our family car, I felt a bit like I was in a movie - the city girl comes home to Mississippi, back to her roots, for the holiday. I love living in a movie...

It was great to be at home, waking up to the smell of my mother's cooking and sharing a bed with my best friend. Since moving to NY, I've begun to notice alot of things about myself and family that make us so uniquely Southern. Walking into our dining room, the beauty of our set table once again reminded me of what makes us so special. Nowhere in NY would you find a table like this...

Being in culinary school also comes with alot of expectations for the Thanksgiving meal. Even though I got in late Wednesday night, I was excited to show my family some of the things I had learned. My mom and other family members made their usual dishes, and so I decided to make a brunchy snack - olive oil cups filled with caramelized onions, tomatoes, and rosemary whipped cream cheese. They were delicious!

For fun, I also made a cranberry and blueberry pie. My mom had frozen blueberries this summer after a morning of picking. These combined very well with fresh cranberries, a squeeze of lime juice, and a bit of sugar.

Topped with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, dessert was complete. Although, I have to say, I was too distracted eating chewy molasses cookies that Betsy had made to even NOTICE the pie...

The rest of our holiday was filled with left-overs, card games, and grand parents. Because I was only home for 2 days, the pace of NY was still in my system, and so I don't think I had time to finally settle into being at home.

Celebrating the season, though, I'm so thankful for my life in NYC. Remembering my life and where I was mentally, emotionally, and physically just 1 year ago, I am humbled by the way that God has blessed me this year. I am so thankful for friends I have made in NYC, for Lindsay and all of the memories we've made as roommates and as great friends, and for the opportunity to go to culinary school. I am also forever thankful for my family, without whose support and encouragement I would NEVER be anywhere in life.

As I got off the plane in NYC, I was thankful to be back. Standing in the line for the bus, I looked around at the characters around me, the outfits, the funny guy beside me dancing to music in his head, and I was truly thankful to feel like I was coming home...

No comments:

Post a Comment