Friday, November 12, 2010

NYC Marathon

Sunday, November 7, 2010 marked the annual New York City Marathon - an epic race known world-wide as one of the best races ever. I live right off of mile 19, and so for most of the day, there were families, friends, supporters, and spectators all around the Upper East Side. The weather was beautiful, the temperature just under 50 and not a cloud in the sky - it was a PERFECT day for running.

I walked to my friend Mallory's house to watch the race - her parents live on 5th ave and 92nd st - in race terms, mile 23. The runners enter central park right by her house, as well, so it's a perfect spot to watch and cheer. Unknowingly, I came upon the race right before the women front runners came by. It was amazing to see. After 2 hours of running, they were still at a sprints pace according to my books. Even more incredible to see, however, were the men leaders. At mile 23, their final adrenaline seemed to be kicking in, and they were FLYING. Gebre Gebremariam and Emmanuel Mutai passed side by side, their long, Ethiopian legs turning as fast as the motorcycle wheels that were filming. It was an inspirational sight.


After the leaders passed, I went up to Mallory's apartment to finish watching the race - it was a pretty incredible view.


I haven't been able to run in NYC yet because of my previously broken foot. Slowly, but surely, physical therapy will get my back on the road, and seeing this race sparked my love for running once again. I can't wait to be back in my tennis shoes, to feel the stiffness of the pavement under my feet and the burn of my muscles in my legs... a surge of adrenaline as I dart across the road as the light changes, the coolness of winter air stinging my cheeks and eyes, and the crunch of fallen leaves as I put one foot in front of the other... these are the simple joys of being a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment